Sunday, January 9, 2011

Who stole my sleep?

When did my life start to revolve around sleep? This concept of a good night’s sleep has become a point of fascination for me… endless conversations throughout my week revolve around the subject – how much did you get, how long did bub get, how dare my stinky partner sleep through! Ggrrrr. Seriously, how is it that the simple concept of sleeping your required 8 hours each day become such a hot topic? And as lusted-after as the latest Must Haves from the Chanel Cruise Collection? Oh that’s right, because a bub came along and sneakily disrupted your once peaceful shut-eye. Duh.

And let’s be honest, it’s hard not be to envious of those mums who have one of those ‘freak’ babies (in the nicest sense) who sleep through the moment they arrive home from hospital. Errgggh, so irritating to hear when you are sleep deprived and doing your best not to nod off in the middle of mums group. I believe it’s generally considered rude to fall asleep mid-conversation, however I have decided the one exemption to this rule is mums. As far as I’m concerned, they are allowed to do whatever the hell they want, so there!

Many a conversation with new mums begin with “so how is ‘insert relevant bubs name’ sleeping?”. Gone are the days when it began with “how was your hot date / night out on the town / shopping trip..." you get the picture. This repetitive discussion does start to make me feel a tad old and boring, despite the fact that it’s so relevant to me at present. Surely my life is more exciting than that? (Don’t answer that!)

The words “I’m so tired” accompanied by a jaw-breaking yawn are repeated so many times throughout my day that I’ve taken a stand – no more! From now on, no matter how tired I am, I will do my best to stop those words escaping my mouth and instead say “I feel fabulous” even if still accompanied by a gigantic yawn. I’m hoping that if I repeat it that many times, somehow my mind and body will eventually catch on and I really will feel fabulous.

Wish me luck…

Love Nicky xo
Ahhh, the peace of sleep...

1 comment:

  1. Good idea, might try that one myself! ("I feel fabulous!") Gorgeous pic :)

    ReplyDelete