Sunday, January 2, 2011

A spruce up...

I've discovered that feeling post-natally frumpy is a common theme for new mums. Suddenly even the most super stylish fashionista is lacking the time and often motivation to make an effort. Some days, getting out of your pj's is a major achievement! So it's understandable that about 3 months after your bub is born, you have a bit of an identity crisis.

Speaking for myself, it was pretty much 3 months to the day that I looked in the mirror and wondered who on earth was staring back at me. Colour-faded ponytail hair, daggy Tee (with a distinct baby-vom aroma), shorts and thongs. Accessories? Ha, the only bags in sight were the ones under my eyes. Sad sad reality. Of course, I'd hardly left the house to go anywhere exciting... one didn't really need to dress up to the nines to take bubba and the dog round the block for our daily walk! But still, I felt like the old fashion-loving Nicky was no where to be seen.

So the first thing I did was book into the hairdresser and it was the best thing ever! Funny how the simple act of getting my hair done, which previously I'd thought nothing of, could become such a wonderful event that lifted my spirits to no end. I walked out feeling like a new woman! And looking much more like the old Nicky I knew.

Next, a beautiful new necklace. A very dear friend bought a lovely necklace for me from one of my favourite shops - it's a Mum, Baby, Home shop on the Sunny Coast of Queensland called Evolve and the ladies who own it have style down pat. This gorgeous necklace is an Elk creation (fabulous Aussie accessories label) and I love how such a simple little accessory can spruce up your look, no effort required.  Thank you lovely Ann for the beautiful & up-lifting gift.

These 2 simple things - a fresh hair-do and a pretty necklace - really made a difference to how I felt. It neednt be something new, just putting on your favourite dress, necklace, shoes - whatever it is - can totally change how you feel and look. Which can be the simple difference between a frumpy day and a fabulous day. So I've made the committment to myself that each day, when I get up in the morning, I will strive to put on something that makes me feel fabulous.

Love Nicky





Ps - ignore the bed hair, I had time to accessorise, not spruce the 'do'! lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment